Sunday, January 25, 2009

Mommyhood = Exhaustion

Reading through the Sunday Star-Ledger when I first wake up: Out.
Being stuck in the LazyBoy all day watching Lifetime Movies: Long gone.
Waking up at the butt-crack of dawn: Good morning, sunshine!
Cleaning a poopy diaper every 20 minutes: Embrace change.
Feeding a 5 1/2 week old during a growth spurt: Farewell, my body.

I gain a few things (seeing how fast the sun rise) and I lose a few things (a couple ounces as CJ feeds). It's all part of the whole package I signed up for. Not that I am complaining, because being a mommy trumps all, just never realized how tiring it really is. Frankie is a huge help if I need an extra ten minutes in bed just to collect myself. I have a new respect for parents of newborn multiples (and to think, I was praying for twins!!)

The past couple of days have been rough, I must admit. CJ has been very fussy. He hasn't wanted to sleep unless he's being held, or in his swing (which thanks to Aunt Gabby has saved my arms and my sanity!!). He wants to constantly move; and just can't sit still. He fusses when he eats sometimes; latches on, cries a little, latches on some more, cries a little more. Sometimes he doesn't. When he does eat, he eats quite a bit. Burps some. Farts some. (He burps like a grown man. And farts just the same... amazing). I came to the conclusion last night that he has to be going through a growth spurt... His sleeping "pattern" is a wee bit off... Babies are very difficult to read; sometimes I get very upset because I can't figure out why CJ is doing what he's doing, or what he wants when he is fussy... I know sometimes it just happens, but I feel so helpless!!

From what I understand, growth spurts can last 2 -3 days, or up to a week... I'm hoping that by the end of tonight, I have a better outlook for the week...

I wouldn't be able to get through the day without Frankie around! He has been there for me every step of the way. Sometimes he gets CJ to calm down and relax when I've exerted all my efforts, and then I feel somewhat bad because Mommy couldn't get him to calm down. I don't get too down on myself, maybe CJ just needed Daddy time, who knows??

CJ is sleeping upstairs. Daddy is doing laundry. And Mommy is just going to relax for an hour until the cow bell cries.........

No comments: